Break free of the kitchen and turn your gas grill into an oven, where you can beautifully roast a whole chicken. Start with a chicken about 3 ½ to 4 pounds, season simply, then roast to golden-brown perfection in a large cast iron skillet, over indirect heat. We do recommend a meat thermometer to check internal temperature, ensuring your chicken is thoroughly cooked through before serving.
PREP TIME10 - 20 min
COOK TIME50 min
TOTAL TIME1 hrs 10 min
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 lbs.)
- ¼ cup olive oil or butter
- Salt & pepper, or your favorite rub
- Herbs and garlic (optional)
- Prepare your grill for indirect grilling at 425 degrees - for instance on a 3-burner grill, turn the outside burners on, but leave the middle burner completely off.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and pat dry.
- If using, insert fresh herbs and garlic cloves into the cavity.
- Rub the whole bird in olive oil or melted butter.
- Season well with salt and pepper, or your favorite rub.
- Place the chicken into the skillet, then place onto the indirect heat zone – over the burners that have been turned off.
- Roast at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to roast until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees when thermometer is inserted into the thigh.
- Allow to rest 5-10 minutes before carving – enjoy!