Frequently Asked Questions
We accept all brands of propane tanks and cylinders for exchange.
For detailed information about transporting your propane tank safely, please visit our Transporting Propane Tanks page. Here are some quick tips to keep in mind:
- ALWAYS transport and store a cylinder in a secure and upright position so it will not fall, shift, or roll.
- ALWAYS close the cylinder valve and, if required, seal with a plug, even if the cylinder is empty. Ask your propane retailer if a plug is required.
- NEVER keep a filled cylinder inside a hot vehicle.
- ALWAYS place the cylinder in a well-ventilated area of the vehicle.
- ALWAYS proceed directly to your destination and immediately remove the cylinder from your vehicle.
It's important that you never dispose of your propane cylinder by throwing it in the trash. Exchanging a tank is an appropriate way of recycling your old propane grill tank. Simply find a location near you to exchange your old tank, or contact us to to help you safely dispose of your propane tanks.
Buy, Exchange, or Refill Your Propane Tank!
Where to Buy Propane Tanks
From grilling and tailgating to generators and patio heating, we're wherever you need us! With over 54,000 locations nationwide, find AmeriGas propane at your favorite hardware or home improvement store, convenience store, gas station, and more.
Propane Tank Exchange in your Neighborhood
AmeriGas partners with the trusted retailers near you—like gas stations, hardware stores, and convenience stores, to name a few—making it easy to find a location to exchange your propane tank. Swap your tanks for refilled ones anytime with our 24/7 self-serve propane exchange kiosks, or find a retailer near you to help with the exchange. Either way, we’ll replace your tank easily, and in just a few minutes!
Get your Propane Tank Delivered Right to You
Propane Tank Disposal Made Easy
When you are ready to get rid of an unwanted or expired propane tank, it’s important that you do it the right way to keep everyone safe. Propane tanks can’t be thrown away in your regular trash pickup, but we're here to make disposal easy. Exchanging your old propane tank for a refilled one is the easiest way to dispose of it, but if you need to get rid of it for good- you can also just drop it off at most propane refill or exchange locations.