Whip up creamy mashed potatoes this National Comfort Food Day. Grilled spuds infused with a garlic-thyme cream sauce and paired with your favorite hoppy IPA will make for a cozy, tasty holiday treat.
PREP TIME40 - 45 min
COOK TIME45 min
TOTAL TIME1 hrs 30 min
- 2 ½ lbs. potatoes
- ¼ cup favorite IPA
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 sprigs thyme, fresh
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Begin by making a roasted garlic paste for mashed potatoes. Remove papery outside of each clove, while keeping intact. Then cut off top portion of each clove.
- Place each clove in a small square piece of foil. Place one tbsp. of olive oil and one sprig of thyme over each, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Wrap the foil squares and place in oven at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and open foil packets to cool.
- Next add the butter, heavy cream, remaining sprigs of thyme and bay leaf to a pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a blender, add the cream mixture, removing the bay leaf and sprigs of thyme first. Then, press the garlic cloves out into the blender. Blend until smooth and set aside, making sure to keep warm.
- Turn grill onto medium-high heat.
- Pierce potatoes with fork and place on top rack of grill. Rotate about 45 minutes in and grill until tender.
- Remove from grill and let cool.
- When cooled, cut potatoes in half and remove skins. Place potatoes in a large pot and mash until smooth.
- Bring garlic thyme cream sauce to a simmer and whisk in ¼ cup of your favorite IPA. Once combined, add slowly to mashed potatoes and stir until potatoes are desired texture and taste.
- Once texture and taste are set, the mashed potatoes are ready to serve. Enjoy!