Hasselback potatoes are neatly sliced before they are ‘baked’ on the grill, allowing for nearly all parts of the potato to be coated in delicious toppings like bacon and cheese. This preparation also ensures the potatoes are cooked perfectly inside, with a delightful crisp on the outside. Plus, they look fancy – a wonderful accompaniment to a classic grilled steak!
PREP TIME5 - 10 min
COOK TIME50 min
TOTAL TIME1 hrs 0 min
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 slices bacon, cooked & chopped
- 3 oz. cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 2-3 chives, finely chopped
- Pre-heat one side of grill to medium-high, to prepare for indirect grilling.
- Slice the potato widthwise into thin slices, making sure to leave about ½ inch on the bottom unsliced. You want to keep the potato in one piece, while forming little ‘pockets’ for your toppings to tuck into.
- Place each potato over a piece of foil, folding the sides up to make a ‘nest’ to hold toppings in; ensure the foil is large enough to seal at the top.
- Melt the butter, and then combine with garlic, salt and pepper. Brush the mixture on to the potatoes, allowing it to drip between each slice.
- Enclose the potato in foil and place on the grate, opposite the heat. Cover and grill for about 40 minutes.
- Carefully open each packet, tucking cheese and bacon between the potato slices. Place back onto the grill, but don’t reseal the foil around the potato. Grill for another 5-10 minutes, allowing the top to crisp slightly.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the foil packets when cooked through, sprinkle on chives and serve.