Seafood and chicken and chorizo, oh my! Take your taste buds on an international tour with this classic Spanish dish packed with fresh, savory ingredients. You’ll need a 15” paella pan, which can also be used as a serving dish at your BBQ or party.
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into ¼ inch chunks
- 8 oz. chorizo, sliced
- 16 large shrimp, peeled
- 2 cups paella rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup tomato pulp
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. saffron
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt, pepper to taste
- Basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, lemon wedges for garnish
- In separate bowls, season shrimp with ¼ tsp paprika, salt, pepper and season chicken with salt, pepper. Set aside chicken and refrigerate shrimp until needed.
- Place empty paella pan on grill set to high heat for about 2 minutes, with the cover closed. Once the pan is hot, add chorizo and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, transfer to a separate bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving the rendered fat in the pan.
- Add olive oil to the pan, then add add chicken in an even layer. Keep grill cover closed, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked to a golden brown. Once cooked, transfer with a slotted spoon to the chorizo bowl.
- Add onion, cooking about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and saffron to pan, stirring gently with the onion for about 1 minute.
- Add tomato pulp and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring to combine ingredients.
- Add rice and chicken broth, stirring to combine all ingredients. Distribute the cooked chicken and chorizo evenly on top, close the cover and simmer 10-12 minutes.
- Add the uncooked shrimp to the pan, close the cover and simmer another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove paella from grill, cover with foil for 5 minutes, then garnish and serve!