This Hanukkah, break out the cast iron skillet and bake up this classic Challah bread on your grill. The rich, airy white bread and golden crust topped with sesame seeds will make the perfect side.
Makes: One large loaf
PREP TIME60 - 80 min
COOK TIME1 hrs 0 min
TOTAL TIME2 hrs 20 min
- 1 1/4 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tsp. honey
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 4 cups flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- Sesame seeds, optional
- In a bowl, combine dry yeast with warm water and dissolve. Then incorporate in the honey, olive oil, salt and 2 lightly beaten eggs. Slowly add in flour until dough is made.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Then add a small amount of oil in a bowl, place dough in bowl lightly covered with a towel and let proof for about an hour.
- Once dough has risen, knead it to help remove air bubbles. Divide dough into four equal amounts and roll each into ropes. Braid the ropes and twist together to create the classic challah shape.
- Place bread in a cast iron skillet and let rise again, about another 20 minutes.
- For the time the bread is rising, place a fire brick on the grate and preheat grill on high.
- Then brush the bread with 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with a little water. If desired, add sesame seeds to top.
- Place skillet on top of the fire brick, reduce heat to medium and bake with the lid closed for about 20 minutes. Then turn heat down to medium-low and bake with the lid closed for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from grill and serve. Enjoy!