Adults and kids alike will love these authentic spicy, cheesy chicken enchiladas. Here we grill both the chicken and onion directly on the grill grate to add a smoky depth of flavor to the dish. These are then combined with the rest of the savory ingredients, rolled into tortillas, topped with enchilada sauce and cheese, and allowed to grill in a cast iron skillet until perfectly bubbly and amazing. Nothing says comfort food like these easy chicken enchiladas made in a skillet on the grill.
PREP TIME5 - 10 min
COOK TIME25 min
TOTAL TIME35 min
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Taco seasoning
- 1 onion, sliced in rounds
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- ½ cup black olives, chopped
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 5-6 soft flour or corn tortillas
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high.
- Brush chicken breasts and onion slices with olive oil and coat with taco seasoning.
- Grill chicken until fully cooked, and then remove and shred. Grill onions until grill marks appear, and then remove and chop.
- In a bowl, mix shredded chicken, chopped onions, green onions, black olives, diced chilies, 3 cups of cheese, onion powder, garlic powder and lime juice.
- Place a large spoonful of the chicken mixture in each tortilla, roll to seal, then place seam-side down in a large cast iron skillet.
- Once all tortillas are complete, pour the enchilada sauce over top, then top with remaining cheese.
- Cover the skillet with foil, then grill for about 25 minutes, or until the cheese and sauce are bubbling.
- Remove carefully and serve chicken enchiladas garnished with fresh cilantro and sour cream.