We suggest using lager in the beer steamed mussels recipe for its light, crisp flavor, but you can experiment with cooking mussels in different types of beer to vary the flavor. No matter what, these beer mussels are sure to be a hit!
PREP TIME5 - 10 min
COOK TIME18 min
TOTAL TIME28 min
- 1 lb. fresh mussels
- 1 bottle lager
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 green onions, white and light green parts only
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. bacon, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 baguette, sliced
- Grill baguette slices on medium-high heat for about 1 minute per side or until grill marks appear and bread is golden brown. Set aside for later.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet, place on grill set to high heat and cook until hot.
- Toss in bacon, green onions, shallots and Cajun seasoning. Stir occasionally and cook until bacon is crisp.
- Mix in garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add mussels and half the bottle of beer. Cover and let simmer for 2-5 minutes until mussels start to open.
- Uncover skillet and add butter, tomatoes, parsley and remaining beer. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring until butter is melted and mussels have completely opened. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with toasted baguettes and enjoy!