How do you make a more perfect onion ring? Wrap it in delicious bacon and throw it on the grill of course! These tasty rings are perfect for a BBQ side, but they also make amazing burger toppers. We’ve brushed our onions simply with olive oil, but hot sauce is a great choice too if you’re looking for a little more kick.
- 3 sweet onions
- 1 lb. bacon
- 3 tbsp. olive oil or hot sauce
- Set up grill for indirect heating on medium.
- Peel outer layer from onions and then cut into 1/2” slices; remove inner solid piece and separate remaining pieces to have two layers of onion to keep rings relatively thick.
- Brush onions with olive oil or hot sauce.
- Wrap each onion in bacon slices, completely covering the onion, then secure with a toothpick for grilling.
- Grill for about 3 minutes per side on direct heat, then move over top of the indirect area. Grill an additional 25-30 minutes or until bacon is cooked completely.
- Remove carefully, serve and enjoy!