Bacon makes everything better, including cornbread. This savory take on a classic side leaves you with a dish soft in the middle, crunchy around the edges and straight up yummy all around. So go ahead - try out this delicious cornbread on the grill recipe at your next gathering!
PREP TIME15 - 20 min
COOK TIME30 min
TOTAL TIME50 min
- ¼ lb thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, solid
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together melted butter, buttermilk and eggs, and then fold in with dry ingredients until smooth. Add in bacon and cheese, setting aside a portion to use as topping.
- Add remaining butter to skillet and melt on medium heat by swirling it around the pan until it is coated in melted butter.
- Pour cornbread batter into skillet and top with bacon and cheddar.
- Place skillet on grill set to 375 degrees. Cook uncovered for 5-10 minutes, then close the cover and cook for another 20 minutes, or until fully baked.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, serve and enjoy!