This Valentine’s Day say, “I love you” with something more special than candy hearts. This recipe makes wonderfully tender Grilled Artichoke Hearts, the perfect appetizer for any romantic dinner.
PREP TIME5 - 10 min
COOK TIME30 min
TOTAL TIME40 min
- 2 large globe artichokes
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Fresh rosemary, sage and thyme, chopped
- Prepare the artichokes by using a vegetable peeler to cut away the outer layer of the stems, and then trim the stems about 1 inch from the base of the bulb. Cut off about ½ inch from the top of the artichoke and discard. Cut the artichokes in half. Scoop out the fuzzy chokes and small inner artichoke leaves. Rub the artichokes with fresh lemon.
- In a large pot with steamer rack, add about 1 inch of water and the garlic cloves. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high and place the artichokes cut-side down on the rack. Cover and steam for about 20 minutes, then remove.
- In the meantime, in a small pot, heat the oil and herbs until warm and let steep until the artichokes have steamed.
- Heat the grill to high. Brush the artichokes with the oil mixture, sprinkle with salt and place cut-side down on the grate. Cover and grill for 5 – 10 minutes, until there are grill marks.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle cut sides with more lemon juice and serve.