- 2 large globe artichokes
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Fresh rosemary, sage and thyme, chopped
- Prepare the artichokes by using a vegetable peeler to cut away the outer layer of the stems, and then trim the stems about 1 inch from the base of the bulb. Cut off about ½ inch from the top of the artichoke and discard. Cut the artichokes in half. Scoop out the fuzzy chokes and small inner artichoke leaves. Rub the artichokes with fresh lemon.
- In a large pot with steamer rack, add about 1 inch of water and the garlic cloves. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high and place the artichokes cut-side down on the rack. Cover and steam for about 20 minutes, then remove.
- In the meantime, in a small pot, heat the oil and herbs until warm and let steep until the artichokes have steamed.
- Heat the grill to high. Brush the artichokes with the oil mixture, sprinkle with salt and place cut-side down on the grate. Cover and grill for 5 – 10 minutes, until there are grill marks.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle cut sides with more lemon juice and serve.