Take your apple pie to the next level by pre-roasting your fruit. Smoky, sweet and tart apples make for a delicious filling to everyone’s favorite pie.
Makes: 1 pie
- 9-10 apples
- Pie crust
- 3 tbsp. flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. nutmeg, ground
- ½ tsp. ginger, ground
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1 ½ tbsp. butter
- 1 ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Turn grill onto medium heat.
- Peel and core the apples, then slice in half and brush the cut side with olive oil. Grill cut side down until slightly softened and charred, about 2 minutes. Remove from grill and cut into thin slices.
- In a bowl, combine sugars, flour, ground nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, toss together apple slices and lemon juice. Then, mix in sugar/spice mixture, coating apple slices thoroughly.
- Prepare the crust by rolling out each piece on a floured surface to about 12-inches in diameter. Cut several small slits in one piece of crust; this will be the top piece.
- Coat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray, then line the skillet with the bottom piece of crust.
- Spoon the apple mixture onto the bottom crust in skillet. Place the top crust over the apple mixture, and crimp the edges of crust together with a fork. Beat the egg white and brush over the top crust.
- Place the skillet on the grill, cover and grill about 1-1/2 hours, rotating once halfway through. The crust will be a golden brown and the filling bubbling when done.
- Remove from grill and allow pie to cool for about ½ hour before serving. Enjoy!