Fall Salad with Grilled Chicken and Roasted Veggies
3 whole boneless chicken thighs
1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper
1 small butternut squash
4 tbsp olive oil divided
2 cups brussels sprouts
1 head green leaf lettuce, washed and roughly chopped
1 cup candied pecans, roughly chopped
1 whole red apple sliced
1 whole green apple sliced
4 whole figs sliced in half
½ cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
1 bottle Litehouse Organic Rosemary Balsamic Dressing
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Season the chicken thighs with salt and black pepper and place them on a hot grill. Cook until no longer pink in the middle.
3. Peel the butternut squash and then cut into small dice. Lay on a baking pan and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and black pepper. About 2 cups.
4. Place the squash into the oven and roast until soft, about 20 minutes.
5. Prepare the brussels sprouts by chopping the base off and cutting them in half.
6. Transfer the sprouts to a baking pan and season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil.
7. Place the sprouts in the oven with the squash. They should be ready about the same time.
8. Add the chopped lettuce to your favorite salad bowl or platter and begin to build the salad.
9. Slice the chicken into strips and add on top of the lettuce along with the squash, sprouts, pecans, both apples, figs and pumpkin seeds.
Grilled Apple Crisp with Porter-Toffee Sauce
7 cups peeled and thinly sliced cooking apples (7 medium)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp apple pie spice
¼ tsp salt
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup butter
1 recipe Porter Toffee Sauce
Ice cream (optional)
1. In a large bowl combine apples, granulated sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, apple pie spice, and salt. Transfer apple mixture to an 8 x 8 x 1-3/4-inch disposable foil pan or metal pan.
2. For topping, in a medium bowl combine oats, brown sugar, and flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over apple mixture. Cover pan tightly with foil.
3. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edge of grill. Test for medium heat over center of grill. Place crisp in pan on grill rack in center of grill. Cover and grill for 15 minutes. Uncover pan. Cover grill and grill about 30 minutes more or until apple mixture is bubbly. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place crisp in pan on grill rack. Grill as directed).
4. Remove crisp from grill; cool slightly. Serve warm with Porter-Toffee Sauce and, if desired, ice cream.
Porter Toffee Sauce
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup whipping cream
½ cup porter beer
2 tbsp light-color corn syrup
1. In a small saucepan combine brown sugar, whipping cream, beer, and corn syrup. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 12 minutes or until sauce is desired consistency. Store any leftover sauce, covered, in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes about 1-1/3 cups.