Food Truck Mania
The first official food truck started in 1974 by Raul Martinez. While Raul had the perfect product, he needed to find the perfect place to sell it. After ingeniously converting an ice cream truck into a taco truck and parking it in East Los Angles, the food truck revolution began.
Today, there are nearly three million food trucks across the United States that fill hungry bellies with BBQ, mac and cheese, pizza, lobster rolls, tacos, ramen noodles, sweet treats, and more! The “street eats” way of dining has taken off in the past decade. Between 2007 and 2012 the nearly $1 billion industry grew at a rate of 8.4%, and numbers continue to rise. The industry is growing at such a rapid rate, that the New York City Council is currently working on passing a legislation that would double the amount of street vendor permits in the next seven years. To put things into perspective, the current permit availability in NYC stands at ~4,200. Think of all that yummy food.
One of the many questions that surface when it comes to discussing food trucks is “where does their energy source come from?” It tends to varies from truck to truck, but we have seen that there are typically multiple sources of energy behind the scenes: gas to power the engine, electric to control the refrigerating system, and last (but definitely not the least in our opinion!), propane to run the grill.
Now that we have your attention (and your stomachs grumbling), here is a list of some soon approaching food truck festivals around the country. Mark them down on your calendar quick before the cold weather pushes us back indoors!
- Hoboken, NJ – Hoboken Spaghetti Dinner Block Party
- Date: August 24th
- St. Paul, MN – Uptown Food Truck Festival
- Date: August 19th
- Columbus, OH – Columbus Food Truck Festival
- Date: August 18th & 19th
- Oklahoma City, OK – H & 8th Night Market
- Date: Last Friday of every month starting June 2, 2017 through September
- Fremont, CA – Fremont Street Eats
- Date: Every Friday from May 5th to Oct. 27th
- Sea Isle City, NJ – Sea Isle City Food Truck Festival
- Date: September 8-10th
- Austin, TX – Texas Trucklandia Fest
- Date: October 21st
- Various Cities Across California – Eat, See, Hear Outdoor Movie Festival
- Date: See website for dates
- Kennesaw, GA – Great Southern Food Truck Rally
- Date: Aug 27th
- Washington, DC – Truckeroo
- Date: Aug 4th
To find out more information on food truck festivals in your area click here.
The New York Times: New York City May Double Number of...
Gothamist: NYC May Double the Number of Licensed Street...
Entrepreneur: Food Trucks 101: How to Start a Mobile Food Business
Food From A Car: A History of Food Trucks
International Business Times: Food Trucks in NYC to Ditch Diesel...