Skip to Content (press ENTER)

LIHEAP Heating Assistance: Illinois

Back to Blog List Page

AmeriGas supports LIHEAP, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, for customers who may be having problems affording their heating bills. Although it is a federal program, each state administers LIHEAP separately and you should apply directly to your state if you think you are eligible. For many Illinois households, energy expenses can place severe and continuing stress on a family’s budget. LIHEAP provides a one-time benefit to eligible households for use towards energy costs. The payment amount is based on four criteria: income, household size, fuel type and geographic location.

Here are details about LIHEAP heating assistance available in the state of Illinois.

Am I eligible to receive Illinois LIHEAP assistance?

If your household’s combined income for the 30 days prior to application is at or below 150% of the federal poverty level as shown in the chart below, you may be eligible to receive assistance. If you rent, and your heat and/or electric is included in the rent, your rent must be greater than 30% of your income in order to be eligible to receive assistance.

How can I apply for the LIHEAP Program in Illinois?

Contact your local Community Action Agency to make an appointment to apply for LIHEAP. Locate the Community Action Agency nearest you.

How long does it take to receive LIHEAP assistance in Illinois?

Once an application is complete, the local agency will notify the client of approval or denial within 30 days. All client and vendor payments are made by the local agency within 15 days after approval of the client’s application. Emergency Services applications are approved within 48 hours after the application is complete. If the disconnection has caused a life-threatening situation, the application approval and vendor notification must occur within 18 hours of a completed application.

Where can I find more information?

Find more information at Illinois’s LIHEAP website, brochure and FAQs. Additionally, you may contact the Community Action Agency nearest you.