Savory tomato sauce and fresh cilantro turn ordinary grilled chicken into a hearty ‘more please!’ kind of dish. We added crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick – try adding buffalo sauce for a different variation on the theme or leave out the spice if you prefer a milder flavor.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Brush chicken breasts with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- On a medium-high grill, pre-cook chicken breasts approximately 4 minutes per side.
- In large cast iron skillet over medium-high, add remaining olive oil, onion and garlic, sautéing until translucent.
- Add in tomatoes, cumin, parsley, thyme and red pepper flakes, stirring well until mixture comes just to a boil.
- Return chicken to skillet, covering chicken with the tomato mixture, then simmer on grill approximately 25-30 minutes more.
- Check that chicken is cooked through, then mix in fresh cilantro.
- Remove carefully from grill and serve – enjoy!