Who knew you could make soft pretzels on the grill? This simple dough recipe is easy to make and uses ingredients you likely already have in the cupboard. Shape it into traditional pretzel form – or really any form you want – then shake it with salt, grill, then baste it in butter for a warm and tasty treat. Pairs perfectly with an ice-cold beer, too!
PREP TIME50 - 60 min
COOK TIME10 min
TOTAL TIME1 hrs 10 min
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp. instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp. baking soda
- Pretzel salt
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl and knead until soft. Cover the dough ball in flour, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Pour into a shallow pan, like a brownie pan, and let cool.
- Divide dough into 8 even chunks, and then let rest another 5 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a rope, and then twist into a pretzel shape. Soak pretzels in baking soda-water mixture 2-3 minutes.
- Place pretzels on parchment paper, sprinkle with pretzel salt and let rest for another 10 minutes.
- Preheat pizza stone on grill set to medium high heat.
- Place pretzels on pizza stone and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and brush with butter.
- Serve warm and enjoy!