A great chili is all about layer upon layer of delicious flavor and spice, coming together to form an unbeatable comfort food. We’ve grilled all the veggies in this recipe right on the grate, adding a smoky element to a classic recipe, and then grilled the combined ingredients in a large cast iron skillet.
PREP TIME5 - 10 min
COOK TIME2 hrs 0 min
TOTAL TIME2 hrs 10 min
- 1 ½ lb. ground beef
- 4-5 tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 red jalapeno peppers, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (12 oz) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, basil, etc. for serving
- Brush all veggies lightly with olive oil.
- Grill corn on high for 10 minutes or until lightly charred; allow to cool and cut kernels off cob.
- Grill tomato, bell pepper, onions and red jalapenos on medium for 10 minutes or until lightly charred. Roughly blend tomato and bell pepper in a food processor and set aside.
- Chop onions and jalapenos, making sure to remove and discard the jalapeno seeds.
- In a large cast iron skillet over high, add olive oil, onions, jalapenos and garlic, sautéing until onions are softened.
- Add in ground beef to skillet and cook until browned.
- Stir in chili powder, ground cumin, brown sugar, smoked paprika, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomato-bell pepper mixture, tomato paste, beans and corn.
- Reduce heat to low, cover grill and allow chili to simmer about another 60-90 minutes.
- Remove carefully and serve with your favorite toppings!