Combine two tailgate favs – grilled dogs and soft pretzels – into this crowd-pleasing treat. We’ve made our own dough, but if you’re pinched for time, fresh pizza dough or packaged dough will do!
PREP TIME67 - 68 min
COOK TIME10 min
TOTAL TIME1 hrs 18 min
- 8 hotdogs
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp. instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp. baking soda
- Pretzel salt
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl and knead until soft. Cover the dough ball in flour, and then let rest for 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Pour into a shallow pan, like a brownie pan, and let cool.
- Divide dough into 8 even chunks, and then let rest another 5 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a rope. Soak ropes in baking soda-water mixture 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat pizza stone on medium-high.
- Starting at one end, wrap each hotdog in a rope of dough, pinching the ends together to secure.
- When all dogs are wrapped, place on pizza stone and grill for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove, brush with butter and sprinkle with salt – serve immediately and eat warm.