Grill your cake and eat it, too. Smoky pound cake paired with a sweet medley of berries and fluffy whipped cream make for the perfect dessert on National Cake Day.
PREP TIME5 - 10 min
COOK TIME4 min
TOTAL TIME14 min
- 10 pound cake slices
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon peel, grated
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint, optional for serving
- Combine blueberries, raspberries, and 6 tbsp. of sugar in a bowl. Mix together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat heavy whipping cream until thickened. Then beat in remaining sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel. Beat mixture until peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve with pound cake.
- Turn half of grill burners onto medium heat.
- Spread butter over both sides of 1 in. thick pound cake slices.
- Place on indirect heat side of grill for about 2 minutes per side. Remove from grill once lightly browned.
- To serve, add one slice of pound cake to bowl. Top with berry and whipped cream mixture, and add a sprig of fresh mint, if desired. Enjoy!