- 16 large live whole oysters
- Fresh lemon wedges, cocktail sauce or melted butter for serving
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Clean the outside of the oyster shells.
- Place them with the cupped side of the shell down, directly on the grate. Cover and grill for about 2 minutes until they begin to open.
- Transfer oysters to a platter. We recommend using a pair of BBQ gloves, as you’ll need to handle them carefully and they will be hot! Discard any oysters that did not open.
- Let cool for a minute or two, then using an oyster knife pry the shell completely open keeping as much of the juice in the shell as possible. Use the knife to cut the muscle connecting the oyster to the shell as well.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges, cocktail sauce or melted butter.