Have an excess of eggplant from the garden this year? We’ve got just the thing. These easy, savory rollups are stuffed with soft cheeses and fresh herbs, perfect for a summer appetizer or main dish. We love serving ours with slices of fresh red tomatoes or a little marinara sauce, but they’re just as delicious plain.
- 1 large eggplants, cut into ¼” slices
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- 2 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped herbs like basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Fresh tomato or marinara sauce for serving (optional)
- Salt eggplant slices and allow to drain over a colander for about 15 minutes; pat dry.
- Brush slices with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, grill eggplant slices about 3 minutes per side; set aside.
- Mix together goat, ricotta and Parmesan cheeses with herbs and lemon zest.
- Divide the mixture between the eggplant slices, rolling each up, and securing with a toothpick if needed.
- Place rollups in a large grill-safe skillet or over foil, and then place on grill for about 5-7 minutes, or until cheese mixture begins to melt.