Whether you're in a pinch or want the homemade chili dogs experience, this chili cheese dog recipe is perfect for game day. Make the homemade chili ahead of time or go for the store bought. Either way, your crowd will love these chili cheese dogs!
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 6 oz tomato paste
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 6 all beef hotdogs
- 6 hotdog buns
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add olive oil to a large pot and heat over the stove on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes.
- Mix in ground beef or turkey and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until meat is completely cooked.
- Mix in tomato paste, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper paprika, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir until cooked meat has broken up into small pieces and ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in chicken or beef broth and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until chili thickens.
- Grill hotdogs over medium-high heat until done. If desired, toast buns, open face down, for about 1 minute or until they turn a light golden brown.
- Place hot dogs in buns, top with chili and sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy!