We cannot tell a lie – this grilled Cherry Pie is absolutely delicious. We’ve made it easy to celebrate President’s Day Weekend by grilling up one of George Washington’s favorite desserts, skillet cherry pie.
Makes: 1 pie
PREP TIME10 - 15 min
COOK TIME1 hrs 30 min
TOTAL TIME1 hrs 45 min
- 6 cups cherries, pitted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 15 oz. package refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat one half of the grill to medium.
- In a bowl, combine cherries, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla until coated. Set aside.
- Prepare the crust by rolling out each piece on a floured surface to about 12-inches in diameter. Cut one of the crusts into slices, to form the lattice, and set aside.
- Coat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray, then line the skillet with the bottom piece of crust.
- Spoon the cherry mixture onto the bottom crust in skillet and dot with pieces of butter.
- Arrange the pie crust slices over top in a lattice formation, tucking the edges of each strip into the bottom pie crust. Whisk the egg yolk and brush the lattice pie crust pieces to finish.
- Place the skillet on the grill grate that has not been heated, for indirect cooking. Cover and grill for 1 ½ hours, until the crust is golden and filling bubbling.
- Allow to cool before serving – enjoy!