Dense, crisp cauliflower loves growing in the cool weather, making autumn the perfect time to enjoy this veggie. While there are a multitude of ways to prepare, we love chopping a full head into hearty ‘steaks’ and basting with sauce while slow-grilling. This particular combo of flavors is a study in opposites attracting, with spicy and sweet, savory and sour combining for one tantalizing tang.
PREP TIME5 - 10 min
COOK TIME30 min
TOTAL TIME40 min
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- Prepare grill for medium indirect heat.
- Prepare cauliflower by removing large leaves and trimming stem to form a flat base. Then holding cauliflower stem down, cut into 4 1-inch thick ‘steaks.’
- Combine olive oil, chiles, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and paprika in a mixing bowl.
- Bush one side of each cauliflower steak with a generous amount of sauce, place sauce-side down on the direct heat area, then brush the other side as well.
- Grill 5 minutes, flip over and brush cooked side with more sauce, allowing uncooked side to grill for 5 minutes.
- Flip each steak onto the indirect heat area, brushing again with more sauce. Close cover and grill indirectly for an additional 15-20 minutes until steaks become soft.
- Remove carefully and serve immediately.