Grab a bottle opener and crank up your tank for this savory and smoky take on bratwursts. Sweet and spicy onions and peppers paired with your favorite lager will have your taste buds cheering for more.
- 4 bratwursts
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 24 oz. favorite lager beer
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large green pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 ½ cup sauerkraut, strained
- ½ tbsp. caraway seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil over medium heat. Then add onions, green peppers and salt, stirring occasionally until onions and peppers are soft.
- Once onions and peppers are soft, add in caraway seeds, spicy brown mustard and brown sugar. Once thoroughly mixed, add in bratwursts and larger beer, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes – turning bratwursts occasionally.
- Place bratwursts on a plate and drain saucepan in a colander. Once liquid has been removed, place mixture back in saucepan with olive oil. Add in sauerkraut and cook for about 1 minute.
- Turn grill on medium-high heat.
- Add bratwursts and grill for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to blister.
- Remove from grill and place in the hoagie roll. For an extra crunch, toast hoagie rolls on grill until lightly browned.
- Add onions, green pepper and sauerkraut mixture on top and serve.