What better way to celebrate Pi Day on March 14 than with Blueberry Pie Baked on the Grill? Pi may be 3.14 in math, but PIE is always a 10 in our book.
- 5 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 1 15 oz. package of refrigerated pie crust
- Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
- Note that you will need two pans– one round pie pan plus another round pie pan or square cake pan.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together but the blueberries. Once the mixture is combined, gently fold in the blueberries.
- Prepare the crust by rolling out each piece on a floured surface to about 12-inches in diameter. Cut several small slits in one piece of crust; this will be the top piece. Line one of the pie pans with the bottom piece of crust.
- Spoon the blueberry filling onto the bottom crust in pan. Place the top crust over the mixture, and crimp the edges of crust together with a fork.
- Take the other pie or cake pan and place it on the grill grate, inverted. Place the pan containing the pie on top. This method will create some space between the hot grill and the “baking” pie. Close the cover and cook 20-30 minutes, rotating every 10 minutes.
- When the filling is bubbling and the crust looks golden, the pie is done. Remove carefully from the grill and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.