Boneless Pork Loin Roast with Herbed Pepper Rub
1 lb. boneless pork loin roast (single loin)
2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
1 to 2 tbsp. cracked black pepper
2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (16 ounce) jar hot, medium, or mild salsa
1/2 cup sliced green onions
½ tsp. cracked black pepper
Lemon wedges (optional)
Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. For rub, combine Parmesan cheese, the 1 to 2 tablespoons black pepper, the basil, rosemary, dried thyme, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl.
2. Trim fat from pork roast. Pat dry with paper towels. On a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper, sprinkle rub in an even layer. Roll pork roast in rub to coat on all sides. Place pork roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Roast for 1¼ to 1½ hours or until meat thermometer registers 150°F. Cover roast with foil; let stand for 15 minutes. The temperature of the meat after standing should be 160°F.
3. Meanwhile, to prepare black-eyed pea salsa: In a medium bowl, stir together black-eyed peas, salsa, green onions, and the ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper. Cover and chill until serving time. (Or if desired, place black-eyed pea salsa in a medium saucepan; bring just to boiling over medium heat.)
4. Slice meat and serve with cold or hot black-eyed pea salsa. If desired, garnish with lemon wedges and fresh thyme.
Yukon Gold & Sweet Potato Mash
1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
½ cup low-fat milk
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. brown sugar
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
1. Place potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until very tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes, then mash them in the pot to the desired consistency. Place milk and butter in a small bowl and microwave on High until the butter is mostly melted and the milk is warm, 30 to 40 seconds. (Alternatively, place in a small saucepan and heat over medium until the milk is warm.) Stir the milk mixture, sugar, salt and pepper into the mashed potatoes until combined.
Vegan No-Bake Cookies
¾ cup almond butter or natural peanut butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 ¾ cup rolled oats
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Heat almond butter (or peanut butter), brown sugar, coconut oil and almond milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until the oil and sugar have melted. Stir in oats, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Let cool slightly.
2. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press into 2-inch circles. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.