PREP TIME15 - 20 min
COOK TIME1 hrs 30 min
TOTAL TIME1 hrs 50 min
- 1 whole chicken (3.5-4 pounds), giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce for serving
- Coat the chicken with vegetable oil and sprinkle salt over them on all sides.
- Lay the chicken skin side down on the hottest side of the grill in order to sear the skin side well. Grill for 5-10 minutes, depending on how hot the grill is.
- Maintain the flame on only one side of the grill, and move the chicken pieces to the cooler side, not directly over the flame.
- Reduce the temp to low or medium low (between 250 and 275 degrees F). Cover the grill and cook undisturbed for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Turn the pieces over and baste them with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Cover the grill again and allow cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this step again for another 10 to 30 minutes (the timing will depend on your grill set-up and the size of the chicken).
- The goal is to maintain a low enough grill temp so that the chicken cooks low and slow.
- When the internal temp of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F for the breasts and 170 degrees F for the thighs, your chicken is done!
- Paint with more barbecue sauce and serve!