Valentine's Day Dinner For Two
2 (4 ounces) filet mignon steaks
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup dry red wine
1. Sprinkle freshly ground pepper over both sides of each steak, and sprinkle with salt to taste.
2. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place steaks in hot pan, and cook for 1 minute on each side, or until browned. Reduce heat to medium-low and add balsamic vinegar and red wine. Cover, and cook for 4 minutes on each side, basting the sauce when you turn the meat over.
3. Remove steaks to two warmed plates, spoon one tablespoon of glaze over each, and service immediately.
1-pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill for high heat.
2. Lightly coat the asparagus spears with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Grill over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or to desired tenderness.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
1-pound fresh strawberries with leaves
16 ounces milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening
1. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally until smooth.
2. Insert toothpicks into the tops of the strawberries.
3. Turn the strawberries upside down and insert the toothpick into Styrofoam for the chocolate to cool.
4. To decorate: Spread 1 cup frosting on cupcakes. Place each color sugar on a separate small plate. Lightly press edge of cupcakes in sugar to coat. Divide remaining frosting between 2 small bowls or cups. Color frosting in 1 bowl red, the other blue. Spoon each into a decorating bag. Pipe frostings on cupcakes or decorate as desired.