4th of July Recipes
Bourbon BBQ Glazed Pork Chops
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tbsp chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup ketchup
¾ cups bourbon (like Jack Daniel’s)
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
8 1-inch-thick-bone in pork chops (about 3 pounds total)
1. Heat oil and garlic in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic sizzles (do not let brown), about 1 minute. Add chili powder and cayenne. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
2. Add ketchup, bourbon, molasses, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat grill to medium-high. Season chops with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part (avoiding the bone) registers 135°F, 10 to 14 minutes, basting with glaze (about 2/3 cup) during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Transfer to a platter and baste again. Serve with remaining glaze.
Marinated Peppers and Onions
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp pure honey
Kosher salt and black pepper
½ large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/3 cup feta, crumbled
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, honey, and salt and black pepper in a bowl. Add red bell pepper and red onion. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, 10 minutes. Add feta and basil and toss to combine.
1 stick butter or margarine (not spread)
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tub whipped vanilla frosting
Red, white, and blue coarse (crystal) sugar
Red and blue gel or paste food colors
You also need: 2 disposable plastic decorating bags, each fitted with a #16 star piping tip
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line 12 regular size (2 1/2-inch-diameter) muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Beat butter, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl with mixer on high speed 1 minute or until well blended. Add eggs; beat 2 minutes or until fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in milk, and vanilla (batter may look curdled). Beat in flour just until blended. Spoon into lined cups.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pan to rack to cool completely.
4. To decorate: Spread 1 cup frosting on cupcakes. Place each color sugar on a separate small plate. Lightly press edge of cupcakes in sugar to coat. Divide remaining frosting between 2 small bowls or cups. Color frosting in 1 bowl red, the other blue. Spoon each into a decorating bag. Pipe frostings on cupcakes or decorate as desired.