The 8 Best Things to Grill
A recent poll on our Facebook page asked our fans “What is your favorite thing to grill?” 182 respondents determined the following foods as our favorites to grill: steak, burgers, chicken, vegetables, hot dogs, ribs, sausage and seafood. We’ve asked our staff to share their favorite recipes in each category with you.
Recipe from Seneta in Payroll
First, the mix:
2 parts salt
1 part confectioner sugar
Grind the salt down with a tablespoon so it comes close to the consistency of the confectioner sugar. I’m guessing what happens is the salt seals in the moisture of the steak, and the sugar caramelizes around the salt to give that nice flavor.
Get your grill as hot as you can, and make sure your steaks are at room temperature. Sprinkle one side of the steak with the mix and place it onto the grill. Depending on how you want your steak, just before you turn it over; sprinkle the mix on the uncooked side and flip. Always be sure to give your steaks at least five minutes to rest before digging in.�
The variations I tried:
2 parts salt, 1 part brown sugar
2 parts soy, 1part confectioner sugar
2 parts salt, 1/2 part confectioners sugar, 1/2 part brown sugar
Spinach, Feta & Tomato Burgers
Recipe from Ray in Network & Distribution
1 pound raw ground hamburger beef
1 green onion
½ cup baby spinach
¼ cup tomato
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1½ teaspoon fresh dill weed
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1. Combine ground beef, scallion, spinach, tomato, feta, dill, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
2. Grill or pan-fry over medium-high heat for 6 minutes per side for medium doneness.
Gorgonzola & Spinach Chicken Rolls
Recipe from Krista in SAP Training
1 cedar plank
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves –thin
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried thyme
4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola
1 roasted red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
12 spinach leaves
4 slices of cooked bacon, coarsely chopped
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Before grilling, soak cedar plank in water for 4-24 hours, drain
2. Lightly season both sides of the chicken breast halves with salt and pepper
3. In a small bowl, combine basil and thyme and sprinkle over one side of chicken breasts
4. Layer each piece of chicken with cheese, peppers, spinach and bacon. Drizzle each piece with 2 tablespoons of vinegar
5. Starting at one end/edge, roll up each piece of chicken and secure with toothpicks
6. Preheat grill to 425 degrees
7. Heat plank on the grill for 2-3 minutes
8. Place chicken rolls on the plank
9. Combine the remaining vinegar with the extra virgin olive oil. Brush mixture over chicken rolls
10. Cover and grill for 20 minutes or until juices run clear. Flip each roll half way through cooking time
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Recipe from Bill in Human Resources
3 portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Clean mushrooms and remove stems, reserve for other use. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, onion, garlic and vinegar. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour.
3. Grill over hot grill for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
5. Hot Dogs
Hot Dog & Fruit Kebabs
Recipe from Mike in Marketing
1 medium apple, quartered and cored
1 medium pear, quartered and cored
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks in natural juices
1/2 cup sweet honey mustard
1 package hot dogs, cut in 1 ½ inch pieces
8 metal or wooden skewers (if using wooden, soak in cold water for 30
1 tablespoon honey
1. Cut apple and pear quarters into thick wedges. Then cut each wedge in half.
2. Measure 2 tablespoons pineapple juice and reserve in a small bowl. Pour pineapple chunks and remaining juice into a 9 X 12-inch pan. Add apples and pears to juice and toss to coat all surfaces. Add 1/4-cup mustard and hot dog pieces. Stir to coat all surfaces.
3. Alternately thread hot dogs, apples, pears and pineapple on skewers. Liberally brush assembled kabobs with mustard mixture.
4. Mix remaining 1/4 cup mustard with honey and reserved 2 tablespoons pineapple juice. Save for a dipping sauce.
5. Grill kabobs on medium-high heat, about 5 inches from heat. Turn a quarter of a turn every 2 to 2 ½ minutes. Cook about 8 to10 minutes.
6. Serve kabobs with mustard dipping sauce.
Recipe from Christine in Safety Department
Use equal amounts of soy sauce, mustard and brown sugar. Mix. Rub onto ribs and grill. Be ready for some finger-licking good ribs!
Suggested amounts: 1 tbsp each for every 1/2 lb of ribs.
Recipe from Nicole in Accounts Payable
3 to 5 bottles of beer (lagers tend to have a better taste than lighter beers)
2 packages of Italian sausage mild or spicy
1. Grill sausage 5 to 10 minutes to brown
2. Heat a container of beer on the grill at the same time (disposable aluminum pans work great)
3. Once sausage is brown add it to the pan, if necessary add more beer to cover sausage completely
4. Cover pan with aluminum foil and cook for 30 to 35 minutes
8. Seafood (we couldn’t pick one, so here are two!)
Grilled Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa
Recipe from Rina in Project Foundation�
Tilapia – brush with olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Grill on top of a fish rack on medium direct heat.
Pineapple Salsa – 2 cups fresh chopped pineapple, 1 jalepeno seeded and finely chopped, ¼ cup cilantro, ½ cup red onion, salt and pepper to taste, 2 tsp cumin. Mix and serve on top of the tilapia.
Recipe from Jim in Audit
20 to 25 large scallops
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon pepper
1. Pat dry each scallop and lay them on a tray. Sprinkle on some olive oil, coating scallops on all sides.
2. Season the scallops with salt, black pepper, and lemon pepper, making sure that the seasoning covers all sides. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
3. Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Do you have other favorite recipes? For more grilling tips and recipes, check out the AmeriGas VIP Fan website, and to make sure you never run out of propane for your grill, check out our Location Finder. And be sure to take advantage of the $5 Rebate for AmeriGas Cylinder Exchange purchased by June 1!